The Five-Arch Bridge is, predictably, a sturdy five-arch bridge a short distance below the Nederlandsche Zuid-Afrikaansche Spoorweg - Maatschappij (NZASM) Tunnel between Waterval Boven and Waterval Onder.
The bridge was declared a a national monument in 1963. It was constructed of dressed stone cut in Italy.
The bridge carried the famous 'Eastern Line' or 'Oosterlijn' railway track accross the precipitous gorge of the Dwaalheuwel Spruit.
It opened to rail traffic on 20 June 1894 and the rack rail ran along the bridge until it was no longer needed.
The bridge was then converted to a road bridge and served as such for many years until the new tunnel was constructed next to the NZASM Tunnel, and the present road was completed.