Monday, 01 September 2014
Programme Director – thank you very much;
The Acting Head of the Department, Mr Thulani Mdakane;
Members of the Interim Board of the MTPA;
Chief Executive Officer of the MTPA,
Mr Jacques Modipane;
Officials from the Department and the MTPA;
Members of the Media;
Ladies and gentlemen;
May I start by expressing our humble appreciation for accepting our invitation to this Media Briefing, at this time of the day. As journalists, you are the eyes and ears of our people, hence we believe that we must continue to partner and strengthen relations with the media. Your role is to be the ‘mirror’ of our communities hence we continue value yourcontribution in assisting government to be accountable to its citizens. Thank you very much for your attendance.
This is the commitment the ANC has made in its 2014 Election Manifesto –that of “Work(ing) with allies and the people to move South Africa forward….”; and further “Strengthen the bonds of trust and solidarity with our people…..”.
Ladies and gentlemen;
The ANC has committed to “Build an inclusive economy that creates jobs” in order to unlock economic opportunities and improve people’s quality of life.
This commitment is meant to address the triple challenges of poverty, unemployment and inequality which are confronting our government. Our response in this regard, is through the Provincial Economic Growth Blueprint – the Mpumalanga Economic Growth and Development Path (MEGDP) and the Mpumalanga Vision 2030 Plan which aim to decrease Mpumalanga’s unemployment rate (strict definition) from 26, 6% to 16, 4 % by 2019, amongst others.
However in order to achieve this, the economy is expected to create approximately 390 000 additional and sustainable work opportunities by 2019. This means that a total of 78 000 work opportunities must be created per annum. For the Province to realise this broad target, the provincial economy has to grow at the rate of at least 5% per annum.
The MEGDP has further identified tourism as one of the six (6) key pillars or sectors with the potential to create the much needed job opportunities. In this regard, the MTPA has plans to increase and diversify tourism product offerings such as the development of liberation tourism routes; and the implementation of the Blyde River Canyon Cable Car and God’s Window Skywalk projects. These projects, including many others, will increase the number of tourists visiting our Province, and thus contribute to job creation.
We thus require a stable agency which will assist us to deliver on this mandate. We have also started the recruitment process in order to fill all vacant positions of Executives at the MTPA, and this is one of the processes that should be overseen by the Board as the Accounting Authority of the entity.
We have thus invited you this afternoon, to announce the Interim Board of Directors of MTPA in order to place appropriate interim governance interventions at the public entity. The Act stipulates that in instances where there is no Board in place, the Member of the Executive Council responsible for Finance, Economic Development and Tourism in the Province must fill such positions.
However given that the process to appoint the new Board (for a period not exceeding four (4) years) is taking longer than anticipated, we have deemed it appropriate to appoint an Interim Board as provided for in the MTPA Act [Mpumalanga Tourism and Parks Agency Act, 2005 (Act 5 of 2005)]. The Act also stipulates that the term of office of an Interim Board should not exceed a period of six (6) months.
We are quite confident that the recruitment process of the new Board will be concluded before the end of the term of office of the Interim Board. Let me further clarify that the appointments we are announcing this afternoon, stipulates that the members are appointed as Non-Executive Members of the Interim Board.
To this end, I am authorised to appoint a minimum of nine (9) and a maximum of eleven (11) Board members, and this also applies to the appointment of members of the Interim Board.
Ladies and gentlemen;
It is now my pleasure to announce the eleven (11) Members of the Interim
Board of Directors of the MTPA, and they are as follows:
1. Mr Sipho William Lubisi (Chairperson)
2. Dr Madoda David Mabunda (Deputy Chairperson)
3. Dr Paul Petrus Lombard
4. Ms Carole Chiloane
5. Mr Jabulani Eric Linda
6. Mr Tlou Keetse
7. Ms Helen Thrush
8. Ms Tholakele Betty Nkambule
9. Ms Tshepiso Sphiwesihle Masenya
10. Mr Christopher Lancester Gololo
11. Ms Nomaswazi Rachel Shabangu
BRIEF PROFILE OF THE MEMBERS OF THE INTERIM BOARD
1. Mr SW Lubisi (Chairperson) previously served as the Speaker of the Mpumalanga Provincial Legislature for two terms. He is the former MEC for Economic Development and Planning; and former MEC for Health and Social Development, amongst others.
2. Dr MD Mabunda (Deputy Chairperson) amongst others previously served as the CEO of the South African National Parks (2003 – 2014); and the Director of the Kruger National Park (1997 – 2003).
3. Dr PP Lombard is the Managing Member of ADS (previously Marc- Dev) and Managing Director of the Khanya Ngwane Education Project, amongst others.
4. Ms C. Chiloane is the Executive Director of Kutlwano Investment Holdings; Executive Managing Director of Mochiba Investments; and Board Member of SAAB Grintech Masadi.
5. Mr JE Linda is the current NUMSA Provincial Secretary; and was previously a Board of Funds Trustee for SAMANCOR.
6. Mr T. Keetse is the Head of Franchise and Stakeholder Relations at Old Mutual and Board Member of BMF Mpumalanga.
7. Ms H. Thrush is the Chairperson of the IT Committee of the South African Institute of Chartered Accountants; and partner in the Helen Thrush and Associates Audit Practice, amongst others.
8. Ms TB Nkambule is a Director at Ntobe Fire Control; previously Southern Regional Manager at the Kruger National Park; and Board Member of SEDA, amongst others.
9. Ms TS Masenya is the current Managing Director and Executive Consultant at the TSL Global Consultants; Business Director at MAAMS Health Clinic (2009 – present); and Project Manager at Delft Farmers Association (2006 – 2007).
10. Mr CL Gololo was previously the Member of Parliament from 2004 until 2014; previously Member of the Portfolio Committees on Public Enterprise, Mineral Resources and Defence.
11. Ms NR Shabangu is the current Deputy Chairperson of the Black Lawyers Association since 2011; and Member of the Family Law Committee of the Law Society of South Africa.
I can further confirm that all these Members of the Interim Board of MTPA duly comply with the requirements as set out in the MTPA Act.
As the Act stipulates, they have been appointed to serve for a period of six (6) months effective from 01 September 2014 until 28 February 2015. However there is a proviso that their term of office will terminate when the appointment of the new Board is finalised, in accordance with section 7(4) of the founding Act of the MTPA.
Let me take this opportunity to express our gratitude to the members of the previous Board, for their service since assuming office in 2010. They have made valuable contribution towards shaping the work of the Agency during their four (4) year tenure.
We believe that they are a team of capable men and women, who will assist us to deal effectively with the triple challenges of poverty, unemployment and inequality which are at the cornerstone of our delivery implementation plans.
Together We Move Mpumalanga Forward!
I thank you