The Songimvelo Nature Reserve is 48000 hectare, the largest provincial nature game reserve in Mpumalanga South Africa, and has a high diversity of plant and animal species. The highest known plant diversity for the Mpumalanga Province. The list of more than 1 400 known species range from several recently discovered species to the last wild population of the Woolly Cycad.
The landscape ranges from savanna plains to high grassy mountains and rolling hills which broken landscapes make this reserve one of the most aesthetically attractive areas in the province.
Songimvelo is home to 4 of the big five. Songimvelo is a wilderness area, it is unrivalled for the dramatic scenery of the Barberton / Bulembu mountains and the deep valleys and gorges leading into the Komati river valley. The reserve is home to 73 species of mammals. Songimvelo geological systems and archaeological sites attract international scientists to the region. The reserve has for many years, been an important breeding centre for white rhino.
Rustic self-catering accommodation and camp sites are available at the large Kromdraai Camp in the eastern sector of the park, where visitors can enjoy bush walks along the Komati River. Access to the 130 beds, selfcatering Krommdraai camp is some 14km east of the main gate. For visitors the Songimvelo Game Reserve features a picturesque picnic site llocated alongside a small stream. The picnic site is equipped with permanent braai facilities, running water and flush toilets.
- 50 self-catering chalets, Kromdraai camp is fully operational in the reserve, each chalet comprises of 3 bedrooms, a small kitchen and an ablution facility.
- 10 chalet at Komati River lodge
- Game drives and self-drives
- 4x4 trials
- Picnic Area
- Bush walks along the Komati River
- Pool Area
- Tented Camp
- Gate entry per person - Adults R50 Children 12yrs to pensioners R25
- Camping Shiyalongubo per person - Low season R200 (max 6 people) High Season R200 (max 6 people)
- Kromdraai Camp per chalet - Adults R580 (per person sharing, thereafter additional R50 per person)