Having grown in significant stature and appeal, Parkrun South Africa continues to gain popularity and following in a growing number of provinces throughout the country. What’s more exciting is how this global movement has stretched its legs throughout the province of Mpumalanga. What was once limited to only one race hosted at Halls Gateway a few years back, has today evolved into a number of events each taking place every Saturday morning at six various locations across the province.
- The Mpumalanga Parkrun events currently take place at;
- Dullstroom - at the Dullstroom Dam & Nature Reserve
- Mashishing - at the MTPA Fisheries on Morgan street in Lydenburg
- Middelburg - at the Glen Cullen Country Estate in Middelburg
- Secunda - at the Trichardspruit Dam on PDP Kruger Street in Secunda
- Standerton - at River Park on Handel Street in Standerton
- Witbank - at Silwer Circle, Silwer Avenue / Steenberg Street at Reyno Ridge in Witbank
These weekly 5 kilometre sporting events cater to a variety of age groups, abilities and fitness levels, were all are welcome, even four legged fury friends, children on bicycles, babies in prams and little ones in buggies. With free entrance for all, participants are encouraged to register online in order to participate. Once registered runners will receive a unique barcode sticker whereby they are then able to keep track of running time, distance, the number of races participated in and other fitness and activity stats.
Parkrun South Africa forms part of a greater global fitness movement taking place throughout the world. What started in 2004 when thirteen runners came together in the United Kingdom, has today grown into an international establishment of over half a million runners worldwide. Established with a simple concept that encourages people of all ages and fitness levels to merely show up, get active and participate, Parkrun events encompasses inclusiveness and well-being. Set at a distance of never more than 5 kilometres long (or 2 kilometres for junior participants), so long as there are volunteers to assist with the facilitation of the various Parkrun events, a race will take place every Saturday morning usually at 8am.
With Parkrun events taking place in up to 17 countries across the globe, international locations include:
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
To follow find stats for Parkrun South Africa events taking place throughout the country every Saturday morning usually at 8am.
- Number of events: 16,135
- Number of runners: 502,185
- Number of runs: 4,831,657
- Number of locations: 130
- Number of clubs: 1,776
- Number of PBs: 893,888
- Average runs per event: 299.5
- Average number of runs per runner: 9.6
- Average run time: 00:40:40
- Total hours run: 373Years 329Days 2Hrs 9Min 8Secs
- Total distance run: 24,158,285km
- Female record holder: Jenna CHALLENOR - 16:35 - Event 40 (03/08/13)
- Male record holder: Adam LIPSCHITZ - 14:17 - Event 142 (18/07/15)
- Age graded record holder: Zeka TSEDI - 112.93 % - 18:18 - Event 120 (23/09/17)